AES in Massachusetts
The AES team works together with our customers and community partners to solve clean energy challenges by developing and scaling innovative renewable energy solutions. Often, we collaborate with community partners to leverage opportunities or innovation in renewable energy development.
We have been operating in MA since 2010, and all the projects that AES owns and operates in the state are smaller, community solar, and distributed generation projects acquired through our Channel Partners program.
operating community solar, community solar + storage, and distributed generation projects, totaling 251 MW
community solar + storage projects in development or construction, totaling 68 MW
The Solar Massachusetts Renewable Target (SMART) Program, launched in 2018, is the Department of Energy Resources (DOER)'s incentive program, which supports the development of solar in Massachusetts.
The DOER regulation articulated in 225 CMR 20.00 sets the regulatory framework for this program. The tariff-based incentive is paid directly by the utility company (in this case, National Grid) to the system owner (in this case, AES), following the approval of the application by the Solar Program Administrator and DOER.
The SMART Program is a 3,200 MW declining block incentive program. Eligible projects must be interconnected by one of three investor-owned utility companies in Massachusetts: Eversource, National Grid, and Unitil. Each utility has established blocks that decline in incentive rates between each block.
The SMART program was introduced to help reach the state’s solar installation goals and replaced Massachusetts' previous incentive program, Solar Renewable Energy Certificate (SRECs). In April 2020, the SMART program was doubled to offer higher incentives to further support the state’s renewable energy standard goal and sustain the solar industry through the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Information on the SMART Program design and launch can be found in the following presentation:
SMART Program Design and Launch
For more information on the MA SMART program, please visit the Mass.gov website:
Community solar benefits
All of AES' solar projects in Massachusetts are community solar or small, distributed solar projects (like rooftop solar). Community solar expands access to renewable energy and allows local subscribers like households, businesses, educational institutions, municipalities, and more to experience the benefits of solar power without incurring an upfront cost or installing solar panels on their roofs / on-site.
Who is eligible?
Subscriptions are open to qualified residential and commercial utility customers of National Grid, including:
- Condo and apartment renters
- Government entities & school districts
- Small businesses & religious institutions
Why choose community solar?
No solar panels on your rooftop or property
- Benefit from clean, renewable, locally produced energy
- Tangible economic benefit via savings on your utility bill
- No responsibility for solar system upkeep and maintenance
You can subscribe to a portion of the production of an AES-owned community solar project, based on your electricity usage.
- Apply through AES or one of our community solar customer acquisition partners.
- Sign a short-term contract with customer-friendly cancellation provisions and no upfront payment.
How it works
Your electric bill
- You receive your portion of power as “solar energy credits” that appear on your electric bill. These credits offset the final balance you owe your utility for your electric consumption.
- There is no need for an additional bill, and all credits will be applied to your current utility bill.
- After you receive your credits, the amount you owe your utility company for your electricity will be less.
We want to hear from you! For any inquiries or comments about Grafton Solar, please contact the AES Northeast Stakeholder Relations team directly at:
Project Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Phone Number: 508-917-5028
292 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Massachusetts office hours
Have a question or comment for AES about our work in your community? Give us a call during these hours to talk to a company representative.
- Every Monday from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM ET
- Every Thursday from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM ET
- Call our Northeast team at 508-917-5028