Altona Wind, located in the Town of Altona in Clinton County, New York, is an existing 97.5 MW wind park planned to be repowered by AES. This project reduces carbon dioxide emissions by an estimated 120,687 metric tons each year, producing enough electricity to power approximately 22,000 homes annually.
Operational since 2009, Altona Wind is a project to which AES is excited to bring new life. The repowering of the wind park will incorporate significant component and control systems replacement with design improvements, resulting in greater energy production and improved energy reliability and availability. Repowering will ensure continued, significant economic benefits to the local community via HCA (Host Community Agreements) and PILOT (Payments in Lieu of Taxes) agreements.
AES is proposing to use all existing sites and support facilities for Altona Wind. The existing wind turbine towers will not be replaced or relocated, though the existing foundations may require modifications to accommodate the repower. Where feasible, AES will replace turbine drivetrains, rotors, hubs, and blades. Generators will be either refurbished or replaced based on the condition of the individual generators, and all existing project facilities and points of interconnection will be used as-is. No changes to the project area, number of generators, access roads, or electrical support systems are expected.
Approximate location of Altona Wind Park
October (Q4) 2022 Project Update
- Due to adjustments to the project schedule, AES is planning on starting repowering construction in 2024 at the earliest.
- The AES project team is planning to submit applications for local permits for the Altona Wind project before the end of this year.
- The AES project team plans to submit a bid proposal for this project to NYSERDA in February 2023. A bid from NYSERDA is essential to ensure that there is a buyer (offtake) of the power that the repowered Altona project will produce. Information on the 2022 NYSERDA Tier 1 RFP solicitation is available here.
Please reach out to AES at 866-757-7697 or email@example.com with any questions!
Estimated repowering timeline
Community presentation materials
Repower Community Meeting Informational Boards
May 4, 2022
Project contact information
For any inquiries or comments about Altona Wind please contact us directly at:
Project Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Office Phone Number: 518-497-0818
- Local Office Address:
23 Lost Nation Road
Churubusco, NY 12923
New York office hours
Have a question or comment for AES about their work in NY? Give us a call during these hours to talk to a company representative.
- Every Monday from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM ET
- Every Thursday from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM ET
- Call our New York toll-free number at 866-757-7697
New York office address292 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
If you would like to be designated as a project stakeholder and added to the project mailing list, please fill out the following form.