These are some of the construction updates and activities you can expect in the area surrounding the Cavalier solar project.
Friday, November 17, 2023
- Reduced contractor presence on site beginning 11/17
- Mechanical work (pile driving, support structures, glass module install) only Mon/Tues/ ½ day Wed
- No work on site Thursday- Sunday 11/23-11/26
General Construction Timeline
- Asphalt construction entrances are complete along White Marsh Road
- Site civil work is complete on all areas West of Beechland Road, with civil activities east of Beechland Road on schedule with anticipated completion by Q2 2024.
- Majority of pile-driving activity complete with the only activity West of Beechland Road
- Solar arrays along Mill Swamp and Bellevue are now 100% mechanically complete. All areas west of Beechland to be mechanically complete by end of this year.
- Site is prepping to push power to the grid select areas West of Beechland in Mid-December.
- Majority of major material deliveries remaining across project will be focused along White Marsh / west of Beechland and expected to be completed by Q3 2024.
Wednesday, September 13, 2023
- Cavalier A, which comprises 155 MW and includes all portions of the project in Isle of Wight County along with all Surry County portions of the project west of Beechland Road, is 95% complete for civil work. Cavalier A also has 25% of its solar modules installed and 70% of its tracker/mechanical improvements installed.
- Cavalier A2, which comprises 85 MW and includes all portions of the project in Surry County east of Beechland Road, is 5% complete for civil work.
- Cavalier A is expected to be operational in the first quarter of 2024 and Cavalier A2 is expected to be operational by the fourth quarter of 2024.
- Shoulder improvements have been completed along Beechland Road / Jones Drive.
- The medium voltage transmission line pulls are completed.
- Mowing of undeveloped portions of the project will continue through the end of the growing season.
- Improvements to the project entrance along Bellevue Road are scheduled for completion the week of September 25.
Monday, June 12, 2023
AES and its contractors working on the Cavalier solar project site in Isle of Wight County and Surry Counties are installing a new transmission line for the project this month. This work may cause occasional, brief traffic delays during work hours as crews “pull” new power line across Beechland Road, between White Marsh Road and Burwells Bay Road, and across Burwells Bay Road north of the intersection with Beechland. Construction crews will use flaggers to manage traffic flow in the area when this work is taking place. These infrequent traffic delays, which will only occur when crews are actively “pulling” new transmission line across the roads, will typically last 10 to 15 minutes, and this work will be completed by the end of June.
Thursday, March 30, 2023
During the week of April 3, construction teams will begin to install the foundations for the solar panels. This is the first part of the construction process. Neighbors will notice the sound of hammering and construction machinery, including the sound of engines and the “clacking” of tracked vehicles working at the project site. The sounds will be noticeable to nearby households as the work nears, and noise levels will decrease for nearby homes as crews progress to different areas of the project site.
Monday, March 27, 2023
Oversized equipment transport to Cavalier project site completed successfully.
February 28, 2023
Deliveries to the construction site have begun, and you may see tractor trailers delivering materials to the Mt. Nebo lay down yard. Each of these trucks will be assigned an escort before delivering the materials to the areas where they are needed to ensure that trucks stay on the approved route.
AES is working with our contractor and subcontractors to ensure all truck drivers follow the approved route.